[back to top]

[ :: Read More :: ]

EDIT: Found a musician! Chris D. is gonna help out with the audio!

Hello PICO-8 musicians,

After two smaller projects, I'm working on something more substantial - a dark fantasy beat'em up for the PICO-8 called The Lair. It looks like this right now (last week of development):

I'm looking for someone to help me with music for the game, which is the one part I'm not comfortable doing on my own. Two-three short tracks would be needed - title screen, battle music, and if we can make it fit, a separate boss battle score. When sfx is taken into account, there should be about 44 slots left for the tracks. The vibe I'm looking for is something reminiscent of old Castlevania titles.

The tracks don't have to all be done by the same person, though - if you'd like to just do one, I'll be more than happy!

If you're interested, post here or contact me at [email protected], if you prefer. It would be great if you could include a sample of previous stuff you've composed (for the PICO or otherwise) :).

P#23317 2016-06-20 17:37 ( Edited 2016-06-21 00:33)

I had an idea for a musical game for the Pico, and wanted to verify whether the idea would work within the audio limitations first. Turns out, it wouldn't - but the toy I used to verify that turned to be lots of fun and took on a life of its own, so that's a win, I guess :).

Cart #20406 | 2016-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Z - add/erase notes | select options in the menu
X - change instrument
hold X - back to menu

Just put some notes on the grid to get a feel for it. You can save your songs to the cart itself, and I guess also share your crazy creations as cartridges here using that option:). There is also a demo song in there if you want to check out one of mine (disclaimer: not a musician by far, listen at your own risk).

Have fun! All comments, suggestions and ideas much appreciated :).

P#20407 2016-05-10 16:29 ( Edited 2016-05-10 20:56)

So, I just recently heard about PICO-8 and fell in love with the concept, especially since a lot of my game-related projects recently end up crumbling under their own weight. Thankfully, there is no way to do that to yourself with the constraints of the Pico, so I hope to finish a few small games for it to get my groove back :).

Cart #20306 | 2016-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first Pico project. It's just a Minesweeper clone - I wanted to start with a known quantity just to get a feel for Lua and the API. I figured that in the unlikely event that the Pico becomes a hit handheld console, at least all those Minesweeper fans will have an implementation ready to go.

Then I found about the search function in splore and realized that somebody already made one :). Well, I guess there is two to choose from now :).

P#20304 2016-05-08 07:42 ( Edited 2016-05-18 07:10)